Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff
Arsenal Gooners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kanoute retires after Mali exit

Go down

Kanoute retires after Mali exit Empty Kanoute retires after Mali exit

Post by Quiver Fri Jan 22, 2010 5:32 am

Frederic Kanoute has announced his retirement from international football following Mali's elimination from the Africa Cup of Nations.

The Sevilla striker scored 23 goals in 38 appearances since opting to play for the Eagles over France in 2004.

Mali bowed out of the Nations Cup on Monday, despite beating Malawi 3-1 and scoring seven goals in total - including two from Kanoute.

"I can't find the words to describe how upset I am," Kanoute said.

"It really hurts me. After we were knocked out in 2008 we really wanted to do well here.

"For my last appearance in this competition I wanted to go as far as possible.

"That's life. I'm sorry I couldn't succeed in helping my team go further at the Nations Cup, which now marks my retirement," added the 2007 Caf African Footballer of the Year.

The French-born forward scored in Mali's remarkable comeback in the 4-4 opening game draw against hosts Angola.

But he was dropped to the bench for the Eagles' 1-0 loss to Algeria and failed to make an impact from the bench.

He scored his second of the tournament in Mali's 3-1 victory over the Flames - a win that would be rendered meaningless under the organisers' head-to-head rules that would see Algeria advance in their place.

Kanoute arrived back in Spain on Wednesday and resumed training with Sevilla on Thursday.
Quiver
Quiver
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 610

Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Arsenal Team

http://www.arsenalgooners.com

Back to top Go down