Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff
Arsenal Gooners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gerrard: Makelele Was The Toughest Opponent

Go down

Gerrard: Makelele Was The Toughest Opponent Empty Gerrard: Makelele Was The Toughest Opponent

Post by Quiver Wed Nov 19, 2008 8:58 pm

Liverpool's Steven Gerrard has revealed that despite all the clashes with the likes of Patrick Viera and Roy Keane, Claude Makelele was his toughest opponent.

Steven Gerrard has spoken about the midfielders against whom he has found it most difficult to play. Top of the list is a French international whose name may come as a surprise to some observers: Claude Makelele.

"I have often come up against Claude Makelele. He's always marked me closely and always done a decent job. 'He may be small, but he's strong and quick and a really difficult player to play against. He would be my number one choice," said Gerrard, before going on to rank his other toughest opponents.

Roy Keane comes a close second to Makelele, with Gerrard stating, "I played against him early in my career and he was the best around at that time. He was fitter and stronger than me at that time and the impact he had on Manchester United was a real eye-opener."

Arsenal legend Patrick Viera follows closely on the heels of the tough Irishman, and Gerrard particularly remembers the 2001 FA Cup Final in which the Frenchman played a vital role.

"I'll never forget the FA Cup final of 2001 when he was on a different level to everyone else," Gerrard commented.

"He was outstanding and went into overdrive that day and that's why it was such a surprise we ended up winning, because Arsenal deserved it on the day."

Gerrard's former England colleague Paul Scholes comes fourth, with Gerrard assessing him thus: "He's very clever with his movement and can play around you. You have to be right on top of your game to play against him."

And fifth spot in Gerrard's list is reserved for current team-mate at Liverpool, Xabi Alonso.

"I play with him or against him every day in training and know how good he is. If Xabi is on his game and on form then he is unplayable."
Quiver
Quiver
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 610

Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Arsenal Team

http://www.arsenalgooners.com

Back to top Go down