Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff
Arsenal Gooners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kewell returns to Socceroos

Go down

Kewell returns to Socceroos Empty Kewell returns to Socceroos

Post by Chelsea FC Wed Mar 18, 2009 5:28 am

Harry Kewell named in 22-man squad for world cup qualifier

Harry Kewell has been included in Socceroos coach Pim Verbeek's 22-man squad for the World Cup qualifier against Uzbekistan in Sydney.

Turkey-based star Kewell is back after missing Australia's previous World Cup qualifier against Japan last month through injury.

Vince Grella and Craig Moore are the only two players from the team that drew 0-0 against Japan who have not been selected in the current squad due to injury.

Michael Beauchamp, Jacob Burns and Adam Federici will all join the Socceroos squad for the first time this year.

Moore failed to recover from an knock picked up in the Asian Cup defeat to Kuwait last week leaving Jade North, Beauchamp and Chris Coyne battling it out to partner Lucas Neill at the heart of the defence for the World Cup qualifier.

"If you lose players like Craig Moore then you miss something but it is a chance for the other players to show what can do," said Verbeek.

Former Central Coast Mariners defender Beauchamp has had a fine season in Denmark for Aalborg and played regularly in the club's UEFA Cup campaign but despite looking the obvious choice to replace Moore, Verbeek said he has not yet made up his mind about who will replace the Queensland Roar skipper.

"Beauchamp is doing very well .. North is playing games every week in Korea and Coyne has experience with the national team where he has done very well whenever I have selected him," he said.

"I want to wait until the weekend and then watch them in training next week and then make up my mind about who will play."

Verbeek did stress that Kewell won't be lining up in the back four for the match, despite earning rave reviews in Turkey after filling in as an emergency centre back for Galatasaray last week.

"He did very well as a left-sided central defender I am told ... after starting in his usual position," said Verbeek.

"Harry is fit, ready and very keen to play here but he will definitely not play at the back for us although it is nice to know he is available with Craig (Moore) injured,"

Verbeek once again made no secret of his desire for his top players to stay in Europe and said the absence of Moore is largely due to a lack of games in Australia since the regular A-League season concluded last month.

He also admitted that Scott Chipperfield's decision to snub a move to A-League newcomers North Queensland Fury is one he was pleased with.

"I prefer Chipperfield to stay in Europe ... the league finishes here in March which is not good when we have games in June," said Verbeek.

"Moore did not play for two weeks before the Kuwait game and there is no possibility for him to do any team training before the squad meets up next week.

"So we had to make up our mind that Craig did not have the time to be ready to play such an important game.

"I prefer that my players are playing in the best leagues available and although many don't agree, that is in Europe."

The Australia team are currently at the top of Group A of the World Cup Asian Qualifiers (10 points), with Japan second (8 pts) followed by Bahrain (4 pts), Qatar (4pts) and Uzbekistan (1pt).

Before heading to Sydney, Uzbekistan will host Qatar in Tashkent on Saturday 28 March, whilst Japan and Bahrain meet in Saitama City, Japan on the same day.

The Socceroos take on Uzbekistan in Sydney on Wednesday 1 April 2009 ans the squad will arrive in the country on Wednesday March 25.
---------
Socceroos Squad

Michael Beauchamp (Aalborg, Denmark), Mark Bresciano (Palermo, Italy), Jacob Burns (SC Unirea Valahorun, Romania), Tim Cahill (Everton), David Carney (Norwich, England), Scott Chipperfield (FC Basel, Switzerland), Chris Coyne (Colchester, England), Jason Culina (PSV Eindhoven, Holland), Adam Federici (Reading, England), Richard Garcia, (Hull City, England), Brett Holman (AZ Alkmaar, Holland), Mile Jedinak (Genclerbirligi, Turkey), Josh Kennedy (Karlsruhe, Germany), Harry Kewell (Galatasaray, Turkey), Scott McDonald (Celtic, Scotland), Lucas Neill (West Ham, England), Jade North (Incheon United, Korea), Michael Petkovic (Sizasspor, Turkey), Mark Schwarzer (Fulham, England), Mile Sterjovski (Derby, England), Carl Valeri (US Grosseto, Italy), Luke Wilkshire (Dynamo Moscow, Russia).
Chelsea FC
Chelsea FC

Number of posts : 85
Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Chelsea FC Team

Back to top Go down