Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff
Arsenal Gooners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Roque Santa Cruz Willing To Sacrifice World Cup For Manchester City Chance

Go down

Roque Santa Cruz Willing To Sacrifice World Cup For Manchester City Chance Empty Roque Santa Cruz Willing To Sacrifice World Cup For Manchester City Chance

Post by Fabregas04 Sun Sep 27, 2009 6:58 am

Recently recruited Manchester City striker Roque Santa Cruz is raring to make his debut in City's colours, after enduring several months out with a re-occurring knee injury, and is prepared to sacrifice the prestige of the World Cup to kick-start his career with the Sky Blues.

Having secured qualification for South Africa 2010 with Paraguay, Santa Cruz is now turning his attention to his new club, where he is set on establishing his name in the first team after a prolonged period on the sidelines.

"I'm very excited that Paraguay will be at the World Cup, but right now the only thing is to get better for my club,” said Santa Cruz to The Telegraph.

“Once the time arrives, if I need to step out of the World Cup, if the club needs that, I will do it. I just want to do everything well.“

Having signed for Man City from Blackburn Rovers over the summer transfer window in a £17 million deal, Santa Cruz is eager to repay the club's faith in him in the matchday seven clash with West Ham United, but is adamant he does not want an easy ride into the first team.

Indeed, the South American star said he prefers the healthy competition for places with fellow strikers Craig Bellemy and Emmanuel Adebayor, for whom he showed support in the wake of the player's recent headline grabbing antics.

Santa Cruz said: “City have placed a big trust in myself and so to step out, that is something I would do. I have played in two World Cups before, so I have achieved one of my goals in my career.

“The injuries have changed my perspective – so when the end of the season arrives we'll see how it is.

“I don't think people realise how excited I am about making my debut – I just can't wait to do it. I think I'm in good shape to be involved in the West Ham game.

“Everything is looking positive with the knee; it has dealt with the stress I have been giving it. Now I need to get my match fitness.

“Maybe it is a good time for me to come into the team but I don't want Ade to be out of the selection – I would like to be fighting with him for the position.

“Everybody at the club is supporting him.

“He's had a great start, scoring goals, and getting the goal against Arsenal that he really wanted but at the same time it has been hard for him because of the suspension and what people are writing about him.

“I'm sure he'll learn from it all, get back in the team and be even better. The team needs him."

The former Rovers' favourite – who is not short on 'big-team' experience, having played for Bavarian giants Bayern Munich before crossing over to the English Premier League – has urged the side to avoid getting caught up in the recent derby defeat to Manchester United.

He cautioned: “You don't get to where we want to be by winning one derby. It is winning week after week, a mentality that builds up through the years."
Fabregas04
Fabregas04
NewsBoy
NewsBoy

Male
Scorpio
Number of posts : 243

Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Dennis Bergkamp, Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Steven Gerrard, Allesandro Nesta.

http://www.arsenalgooners.com

Back to top Go down