Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff
Arsenal Gooners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rovers frustrated by Forest draw

2 posters

Go down

Rovers frustrated by Forest draw Empty Rovers frustrated by Forest draw

Post by enigma Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:53 pm

Doncaster were left frustrated once again after another dominant performance only yielded a 0-0 draw with Nottingham Forest on Tuesday.
Both sides went into the match knowing a win would leave their opponents propping up the table.

Forest, with only one away win all season, will be more pleased to be going home with a point as Doncaster looked the more threatening in this end-to-end tussle.

The South Yorkshire outfit, who have found the net only three times at the Keepmoat this season, played some flowing football and were unlucky not to go in front in the first half when James Coppinger struck the bar with a curling shot.

The lively frontman also went close after the break when his shot was almost spilled over the line by Forest goalkeeper Lee Camp while the ever-dangerous Nathan Tyson went close on a number of occasions for the visitors.

Doncaster manager Sean O'Driscoll made three changes to the team which drew 0-0 at Burnley with Coppinger, James Hayter and Gareth Taylor all coming in.

The Forest line-up also sported a trio of changes with Joel Lynch, Lee Martin and Lewis McGugan all returning, while summer signing Robert Earnshaw, who had been struggling with a calf strain, was fit enough to make the bench.

The hosts showed their attacking intent after just one minute with Gareth Taylor latching onto a free-kick, but his glancing header drifted harmlessly wide.

Moments later they went even closer, when after some good build-up play, Coppinger latched onto a loose ball on the corner of the area and curled a powerful shot against the bar.

The Rovers frontman almost carved an opening out of nothing after 20 minutes, when he showed quick feet to elude two defenders before delivering an inviting cross into the six-yard box which no Doncaster players reacted to in time.

At the other end Tyson was looking threatening but all too often he was left isolated up front, and on the one occasion he did receive support Paul Anderson shot straight at Neil Sullivan.

As the half wore on Forest came more into the match and Joel Garner went close with a header before the former Carlisle striker sent Tyson clear, but he flashed his shot wide.

Garner went close again on the stroke of half-time when his low header was somehow clawed to safety by Sullivan.

Rovers soon got back into their passing rhythm at the start of the second half and looked threatening, but their reluctance to shoot on the edge of the area cost them as two promising openings fizzled out.

Tyson then showed his goal threat in the 55th minute when he cut in from the right and drilled a powerful shot just wide of Sullivan's near post.

A poor defensive clearance almost let Rovers in on the hour mark as James O'Connor picked up the loose ball before going on a mazy run to the byline, but once again his dangerous pull back was cleared by a Forest defender.

O'Driscoll was forced into a change in the 67th minute when Hayter had to go off through injury.

His replacement Paul Heffernan created another good opportunity for the hosts and this time it was Martin Woods' turn to spurn the opening as he shot well over from the edge of the area.

Forest then went close when Anderson, on loan from Liverpool, shot just wide of the post, before Rovers thought they had finally broken the deadlock 15 minutes from time.

A stinging shot from Coppinger was fumbled back towards his goal by Camp, but despite all the Doncaster players' pleas to the referee that the ball had crossed the line the linesman's flag remain by his side.
enigma
enigma

Male
Aries
Number of posts : 114

Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Arsenal Team

http://twitter.com/rinesh

Back to top Go down

Rovers frustrated by Forest draw Empty Re: Rovers frustrated by Forest draw

Post by enigma Tue Nov 25, 2008 8:55 pm

Nottingham Forest manager Colin Calderwood refused to comment on supporter unrest after a goalless draw against Doncaster left his side rooted to the bottom of the Coca-Cola Championship.

Forest, with only two wins all season, could not break down their opponents at the Keepmoat and despite coming away with a valuable point the Forest chief led his side off to a chorus of 'Calderwood out' chants from the travelling fans.

When asked what he read into the chants, the Scot responded: "You don't have to be a genius to read too much into that."

Calderwood would not be drawn on commenting further and instead praised the Forest faithful for their support.

"They were super, they've proved what a good set of supporters they are all season and it's nice to give them some reward, but we need to give them a greater reward for their support," he said.

Doncaster played some flowing football and were unlucky not to go in front in the first half when James Coppinger struck the bar with a curling shot.

The lively front man also went close after the break when his shot was almost spilled over the line by Forest goalkeeper Lee Camp while the ever-dangerous Nathan Tyson went close on a number of occasions for the visitors.

Calderwood added: "It thought it was a fair result overall. There were few opportunities but I thought we had the better overall.

"It was a good solid contest, Doncaster started brightly but we came back into it."

Doncaster thought they had broken the deadlock 15 minutes from time when a stinging shot from Coppinger was fumbled towards his goal by Camp and appeared to cross the line, but the linesman was unmoved and no goal was given.

"We will get the DVD and have a look, I'm just glad the referee didn't guess. Nobody knows, but Lee Camp assures me it wasn't over," said Calderwood.

Opposite number Sean O'Driscoll was also undecided as to whether the ball had crossed the line, saying: "I was 40 yards away so I haven't got a clue.

"I'm the home side so I am definitely saying it's over but the linesman can't see it and the referee is too far away. So unless you have goalmouth cameras then nobody knows."

The result leaves Rovers just ahead of their opponents in the league, but with just three goals at home this season O'Driscoll admits he is getting more desperate to find a goalscorer.

"If we would have had someone who could put the ball in the back of the net from the start of the season then we would be talking about automatic promotion, not relegation," he said.

"Ninety-nine per cent of what we do has been excellent, but it's difficult to keep going week in week out when you don't get any reward.

"We are still on the lookout for a striker but we are only as close as we have ever been. There has been talk about players but then it peters out to nothing. I think we have exhausted a lot of possibilities.

"I think it will be a case of bringing someone in just for the case of bringing someone in.

"It's not the right thing to do but we need another face in."
enigma
enigma

Male
Aries

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiver Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:02 pm

Don't tell me you started following them, did you go for any game?
Quiver
Quiver
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 610

http://www.arsenalgooners.com

Back to top Go down

Post by enigma Tue Nov 25, 2008 9:14 pm

yes i did.... well i saw it live in our local pub & felt really bad for them they were playing quite good enough to win....
enigma
enigma

Male
Aries

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content