Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff
Arsenal Gooners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Wenger - I would love to have kept Upson

Go down

Wenger - I would love to have kept Upson Empty Wenger - I would love to have kept Upson

Post by Fabregas04 Sat Oct 25, 2008 5:16 pm

If Arsène Wenger had had his way, Matthew Upson might be lining up FOR Arsenal rather than against them on Sunday.

The England defender arrived at Highbury in the summer of 1997 alongside Marc Overmars and Emmanuel Petit but, unlike that pair, his path to the Arsenal first team was blocked by an outstanding bunch of central defenders.

When Upson was ready to step up and challenge the likes of Tony Adams, Steve Bould or Martin Keown, injury problems restricted his progress. Upson did earn a Premier League medal in 2002 but a year later, after six seasons, 56 appearances and numerous false starts, he left for Birmingham.

Upson became one of the many players who learned much of their trade at Arsenal but put those skills into practice elsewhere. Wenger wanted to keep the centre back but is delighted to see him flourishing with West Ham and England.

"He is one of the players that I would have loved to hang on to," admitted the Frenchman at his pre-match press conference.

"If you take the players in the Premier League who have been educated here there are plenty of them. Steve Sidwell, David Bentley, Fabrice Muamba, Matthew Upson... but at some stage if you don’t play them you have to let them go.

"What is important is that they make a career. Upson has made a fantastic career and I knew he was at the age where I had to give it to him or let him go.

"I felt he had, for a very tall guy, quick feet, good pace, a good left foot, a good long ball and he was good in the air. For a centre back that is not bad. He was good on the ball and that is why I am not surprised he has made a good career."
Fabregas04
Fabregas04
NewsBoy
NewsBoy

Male
Scorpio
Number of posts : 243

Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Dennis Bergkamp, Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Steven Gerrard, Allesandro Nesta.

http://www.arsenalgooners.com

Back to top Go down