Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff
Arsenal Gooners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Everton conclude deal for Distin

Go down

Everton conclude deal for Distin Empty Everton conclude deal for Distin

Post by Quiver Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Everton have completed the signing of Portsmouth defender Sylvain Distin on a three-year deal for an undisclosed fee.

The 31-year-old Frenchman moves to Goodison Park following Joleon Lescott's departure for Manchester City and could make his debut on Sunday.

"You always have to think about where you're going to go, especially at my age," said Distin. "It's important for me to enjoy my football now."

The Toffees also are without Phil Jagielka until October at the earliest.

In his absence and with Lescott's departure, boss David Moyes has been forced to use Phil Neville at centre-back.

"He'll give me a direct replacement [for Lescott]," manager David Moyes told the club's official website.

"He's a left-footed centre back, which I wanted.

"He's a bit older but more experienced and I look back at how well David Weir and Alan Stubbs did for us in their 30s, and I hope Sylvain can do the same.

"We need someone to come in and keep us steady because we want to be competing be at the top end of the Premier League."

Distin is Moyes's third major capture of the current transfer window, following on-loan striker Jo and Russia international midfielder Diniyar Bilyaletdinov.

Distin could come straight into the team for Sunday's home clash against Wigan despite not training with his new team-mates on Friday.

He added: "I did think about it, but not for too long. It is important to move to a club looking up not down.

"In my first season at Portsmouth we won the FA Cup and with the kind of players we were signing at the time everyone expected it to carry on.

"But it went in the opposite direction. It was really difficult last year and this season the club is also in a tough situation.

"So it was not enjoyable, but those things happen in football."

Pompey had been linked with a move for Manchester City's Richard Dunne, but he now appears set to join Aston Villa.
Quiver
Quiver
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 610

Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Arsenal Team

http://www.arsenalgooners.com

Back to top Go down