Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff
Arsenal Gooners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

West Ham poised for Chamakh deal

Go down

West Ham poised for Chamakh deal Empty West Ham poised for Chamakh deal

Post by Quiver Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:30 pm

West Ham hope to wrap up the signing of Bordeaux striker Marouane Chamakh this week, BBC Sport understands.

The deal depends on the sale of James Collins, who was the subject of a £5m bid from Stoke last week and has also attracted interest from Aston Villa.

Morocco international Chamakh, 25, would cost about £7m and is expected to sign a five-year deal at Upton Park.

Chamakh scored 14 goals last season to help Bordeaux break Lyon's seven-year monopoly of the French league title.

Hammers boss Gianfranco Zola has been told he must sell before he can bring any more players to the club.

The Italian has a surfeit of central defenders, with England international Matthew Upson, Welsh duo Danny Gabbidon and Collins and promising home-grown player James Tomkins all vying for two positions.

However, he is desperately short of strikers, with Carlton Cole the only fit centre forward in the first-team squad.

Villa boss Martin O'Neill travelled to Upton Park to watch Collins and Upson play in the 2-1 home defeat by Tottenham on Sunday.

Zola would be willing to let Collins leave the club but is reluctant to allow Upson to leave unless he receives a huge offer of "Joleon Lescott proportions", BBC Sport understands.

Everton defender Lescott is poised to join Manchester City for a fee believed to be in the region of £24m.

Meanwhile, Zola has denied reports that striker Dean Ashton could be about to announce his retirement because of a serious ankle injury.

"As far as I know, he's still doing his rehabilitation and I'm hoping to have him in my team," said Zola on Sunday.

"He's a player who can make a big difference. Until they tell me something different, I'm hoping he'll come back."

Ashton injured his ankle in Zola's first training session with the club in September 2008.

The England striker signed for the Hammers from Norwich for £7.25m in 2006 and has made 46 league appearances for them, scoring 15 goals in the Premier League.
Quiver
Quiver
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 610

Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Arsenal Team

http://www.arsenalgooners.com

Back to top Go down