Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff
Arsenal Gooners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gallas: Arsenal Don't Yet Have Winning Culture

3 posters

Go down

Gallas: Arsenal Don't Yet Have Winning Culture Empty Gallas: Arsenal Don't Yet Have Winning Culture

Post by Fabregas04 Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:58 pm

Arsenal’s 2-2 draw at Birmingham City last February was seen as a defining moment in their season, but it has also become a defining moment in the career of captain William Gallas - who has spoken about it again, stressing that his reaction to the last-minute loss of points was over-criticised and born of frustration at the lack of a winning mentality among his young team-mates.

William Gallas has admitted he has had to reassert his authority as captain of Arsenal after ‘flipping his lid’ at the end of the Gunners’ 2-2 draw at St Andrews earlier this year.

That visit to Birmingham on 23rd February was a traumatic affair for the Gunners, who went into the game looking to extend their lead at the top of the table to eight points, if only briefly. In the opening minutes striker Eduardo suffered an horrific compound fracture of his left leg in a wild red-carded lunge by Martin Taylor, and the shocked visitors fell behind to a James McFadden free-kick from just outside the area on 28 minutes.

But after the interval Arsenal rallied and Theo Walcott fired them ahead with two goals in five minutes. They created but squandered chances to increase their lead until, in stoppage-time, Gael Clichy was controversially adjudged to have tripped substitute Stuart Parnaby in the area, despite making contact with the ball. McFadden coolly despatched the resultant penalty and Blues snatched a draw from the jaws of an Arsenal victory. It heralded a run of three more draws and a defeat that cost the Gunners ther Premier League title.

But the Birmingham game became notorious not only for Taylor’s tackle but also the behaviour of Gallas. He had been handed the captain’s armband by Arsene Wenger following Thierry Henry’s departure for Barcelona, but his leadership was called into question at St Andrews.

In protest at the late penalty, Gallas retreated to the halfway line and sat down in a sulk, remaining there long after the final whistle.

Gallas acknowledges his actions were a mistake. He feels some of the criticism he received was unfair, but believes he still has the backing of his team-mates as skipper.

Gallas told L'Equipe Magazine today: "The controversy about my captaincy? People had to find a scapegoat as we didn't win any trophies last season.

"So, they talked and talked again about the Birmingham match. Indeed I made a mistake. I must admit I flipped my lid. We should have won that game easily.

"Before Arsenal, I spent six years at Chelsea. That team was capable of getting ugly wins. If we had an opportunity to win a cup, we would never miss it.

"There I became imbued with the winning culture, which doesn't exist yet at Arsenal.

"Of course, some of my Arsenal team-mates could not have appreciated my behaviour against Birmingham.

"I had to state my authority again and today when I motivate them before a match, they say; 'Capi, we need you, we are following you'.

"If I would have been an unworthy captain, they would have banned me.

"The critics went much too far. Maybe I put myself under too much pressure, like Arsene Wenger said.

"I believed I had a message to give to my team-mates and I could not find the right words.

"Our game made people dream, but we had empty hands. We have to show a more clinical state of mind. At the end of last season there was such a frustration inside me!"
Fabregas04
Fabregas04
NewsBoy
NewsBoy

Male
Scorpio
Number of posts : 243

Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Dennis Bergkamp, Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Steven Gerrard, Allesandro Nesta.

http://www.arsenalgooners.com

Back to top Go down

Gallas: Arsenal Don't Yet Have Winning Culture Empty Re: Gallas: Arsenal Don't Yet Have Winning Culture

Post by Fabregas04 Sat Oct 11, 2008 1:58 pm

As everyone has said, the maximum # of goals which we conceded were due to gallas. Instead of blaming the team for not having the winning mentality, he should improve himself What a Face . Still if we keep losing then he can say what he said now.
Fabregas04
Fabregas04
NewsBoy
NewsBoy

Male
Scorpio

Favorite Players : Dennis Bergkamp, Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Steven Gerrard, Allesandro Nesta.

Back to top Go down

Gallas: Arsenal Don't Yet Have Winning Culture Empty Re: Gallas: Arsenal Don't Yet Have Winning Culture

Post by Seaney Sun Oct 26, 2008 12:33 am

get rid of gallas as captain
Seaney

Number of posts : 1
Country : Gallas: Arsenal Don't Yet Have Winning Culture 2ivd8vm

Back to top Go down

Post by Fabregas04 Sun Oct 26, 2008 2:15 am

Seaney wrote:get rid of gallas as captain

True, i feel kolo toure will make a better captain.
Fabregas04
Fabregas04
NewsBoy
NewsBoy

Male
Scorpio

Back to top Go down

Post by CmT Mon Nov 24, 2008 1:22 am

Fabregas04 wrote:As everyone has said, the maximum # of goals which we conceded were due to gallas. Instead of blaming the team for not having the winning mentality, he should improve himself What a Face . Still if we keep losing then he can say what he said now.

Exactly Its good now that he has been sacked. OMG what the hell was that day when he was brought in with a free transfer of Cole to Chelsea. The Team improved day by day after Gallas left Chesea He He He Very Happy
CmT
CmT

Male
Leo
Number of posts : 10

Favorite Players : Bergkamp, Henry, Pires, The Arsenal 2004 Team Razz

http://unbounded-thoughts.blogspot.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down