Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff
Arsenal Gooners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Where are Arsenal’s match winners?

2 posters

Go down

Where are Arsenal’s match winners? Empty Where are Arsenal’s match winners?

Post by enigma Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:01 am

As Arsenal go into Christmas in fifth place and eight points off top spot, it is all too tempting to say that all is not lost. We have come back from such situations before, 1997-98 being the classic and often-used example. But do we have the players to repeat such a remarkable feat? I would contend that we don’t, and that we are ‘only’ eight points off the pace because the other ‘Big Four’ teams are dropping points through inconsistency as well.

In short, things could and perhaps should be a whole lot worse.

I would say that Arsene Wenger has developed three real ‘squads’ during his time at Arsenal: the 2002 Double winners, the 2004 Invincibles, and the Emirates youngsters that have turned out since the move down the road to Drayton Park. I say this because Wenger largely inherited the 1998 Double team, augmenting it with his first deluge of foreign talent, which admittedly played their part.

But in each of those teams, you had your match winners. The players whose presence, experience and proven talent were enough to change and dominate a game. Players like Seaman and the old back four for their resilience and determination, Vieira for his workhorse-like performances all over the pitch, and Bergkamp for the touches of magic he could bring to a game. In the absence of them, and many other examples, who do we have left?

It is a frequent criticism against Wenger that he sells too many experienced players at once. Up until last season, I was happy to argue otherwise, because that squad really could have won the title if they held onto pole position a little longer. But this season has proven to be one too far. Instead of selling Gilberto, I would have made him captain for his experience and calm temperament, and the knowledge he could pass on to the younger players. Hleb may not have had a shooting foot on him but played his part in the attacking build-ups. Flamini went for the money, it would seem, so that does not faze me too much, but Lehmann may have stayed if he had played more regularly.

In looking at the current squad, I make the following assertions:

Manuel Almunia: A solid keeper, maybe even a good one, but to be Arsenal No.1 you should be exceptional. Even Lehmann, despite his eccentricities, was a superb keeper on his day and a worthy successor to Seaman, Lukic, Wilson et al. I have not been convinced so far that Almunia has that kind of talent, despite having made some good and important saves so far this season.

Central defence: The key missing ingredient right now is leadership, as well as quality cover. I was never convinced by Gallas as skipper, and believed that he played the role for the cameras more than anything else, but for me Silvestre and Djourou have not impressed this season. Toure’s injuries have not helped, but I think it was a mistake to loan out Senderos because, despite his detractors, he is a solid centre-back and capable of having a stand-out game, i.e. AC Milan at home last season. There is no one shouting and marshalling the line, and this needs to be looked at.

Midfield: Probably my biggest bone of contention, and where the losses of experienced players have been felt the most. Without a Gilberto to shield the back four or any genuine wide players (save for perhaps Rosicky and Walcott with their injury woes), we have been left with players like Song and Denilson who just do not have the strength and wherewithal to compete against the top or even lesser sides, and Eboue who has never impressed outside of at right-back. While talented enough at reserve level, there is a big gap between that and Premier League calibre, and in the absence of more experienced players we are falling behind because the midfield is not as creative as it once was. I except Nasri from that because he has been impressive, and Fabregas because of his proven and outstanding talent.

(Ed’s note – piece submitted before Sunday’s match)
Cesc Fabregas: I was of mixed opinion that he got the captaincy. It obviously recalls Tony Adams to some extent, him being 21, but I’m not sure that the best player in the team should always necessarily be captain. I think the captain should be the player with the most influence and communication skills, and who most encapsulates the club’s values. From what Fabregas has said on the role, I’m not sure he has the kind of leadership that I think Arsenal really need right now, and that is my main concern with his election.

Forwards: Not nearly enough depth in our options. While Van Persie remains capable but frustratingly inconsistent, Adebayor is a good target man and able to link the midfield and forward lines together with his hold-up play, but at times doesn’t show enough heart or industry. Players like Ian Wright would nearly kill themselves to score, and I’m not sure he is of that mould. I do not think that Bendtner has enough quality to justify his place in the first team, and beyond those three there are no other real options at first team level.

All of these problems are solvable, absolutely, but not without investment in new players in January. While Arsene Wenger continues to resist, perhaps on ideological or philosophical grounds, now is the time for some pragmatic thinking if we are to turn this season around. We cannot afford to lose even more players this summer, if the trend continues, and we need some more experienced and talented heads that know how to beat the lesser teams and motivate the rest of the team to do that.

On my Christmas wish-list would definitely be Micah Richards, Ashley Young and Gabriel Agbonlahor. Not that we’d ever get any of them, but I believe those three in the Arsenal team would cure the problems I have mentioned in each department, as well as mixing some more English talent into the Arsenal system. And without wanting to sound biased, I do think they need a bit of that as well.
enigma
enigma

Male
Aries
Number of posts : 114

Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Arsenal Team

http://twitter.com/rinesh

Back to top Go down

Where are Arsenal’s match winners? Empty Re: Where are Arsenal’s match winners?

Post by Fabregas04 Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:28 pm

I can't disagree with the above post at all.
Fabregas04
Fabregas04
NewsBoy
NewsBoy

Male
Scorpio
Number of posts : 243

Favorite Players : Dennis Bergkamp, Zinedine Zidane, Paolo Maldini, Steven Gerrard, Allesandro Nesta.

http://www.arsenalgooners.com

Back to top Go down

Post by enigma Wed Dec 24, 2008 1:39 pm

I hope my Christmas wish comes true.....
enigma
enigma

Male
Aries
Number of posts : 114

Favorite Players : Arsenal Team

http://twitter.com/rinesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down