Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff
Arsenal Gooners
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Sol Campbell rejoins Arsenal Football Club

3 posters

Go down

Sol Campbell rejoins Arsenal Football Club Empty Sol Campbell rejoins Arsenal Football Club

Post by Lord Melchett QaVam Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:49 am

Campbell (35), who spent five seasons at Arsenal between 2001 and 2006 is a vastly experienced player for both club and country. During his distinguished career, Sol has made 462 appearances in the Premier League and is currently fourth on the all-time Premier League appearances list. Campbell has also been a member of the England squad for six major tournaments between 1996 and 2006.

Originally joining Arsenal in July 2001, Campbell won five major honours with the Gunners, including the league and FA Cup ‘double' in 2002, and was an integral part of the historic ‘Invincibles' squad, which went the entire 2003/04 Premier League season unbeaten.

Manager Arsène Wenger said: "We are delighted to have signed Sol Campbell until the end of the season. For both club and country, Sol's career just speaks for itself. He is a hugely experienced and intelligent footballer, who will bring a great amount of quality and knowledge to our squad. Sol as a player and a person will be an enormous asset to us.

"Sol has been training with us since September and during this time he has shown he still has the required fitness, hunger and passion to compete at the top level."

After completing his move back to the Gunners, Campbell said: "I'm so happy to be rejoining Arsenal. I have many great memories from being here before and still have many friends at the Club. I've been working very hard at the Arsenal Training Ground, I feel really good at the moment and I'm ready to give my all. We're in a strong position and I want to help Arsenal be successful this season."

During his hugely successful first spell at Arsenal, Campbell made a total of 197 appearances for the Gunners, scoring 11 times. Fittingly, he scored in his last appearance in an Arsenal shirt - the 2006 UEFA Champions League Final, when the Gunners narrowly lost 2-1 to Barcelona in Paris.

Campbell left Arsenal in the summer of 2006 and joined Portsmouth, where he made 95 appearances in three seasons with the south coast club, during which time he captained the side to their FA Cup Final victory in 2008, Pompey's first major trophy in over 50 years.

Campbell, who will wear the number 31 shirt, played 45 minutes for Arsenal Reserves at West Ham United on Tuesday night. The Gunners' second string were 2-0 up at half-time when Campbell came off as planned, after playing the match through a Reserve League registration.

Campbell is the first player under Arsène Wenger to rejoin Arsenal, and only the fifth player in the Club's history to re-sign for the Gunners. The four other players were: John Lukic (1983-1990 & 1996-2001); Martin Keown (1982-1986 & 1993-2004); Jock Rutherford (1913-1923 & 1925-1926) and Hugh McDonald (three spells - 1906; 1908-1910 & 1912-1913).
Lord Melchett QaVam
Lord Melchett QaVam

Male
Taurus
Number of posts : 63

Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Tony Adams, Dennis Bergkamp, Theirry Henry, Kolo Toure, Cesc Fabregas, Tomas Rosicky

http://arsenalfansparadise.bravehost.com/index.htm

Back to top Go down

Sol Campbell rejoins Arsenal Football Club Empty Re: Sol Campbell rejoins Arsenal Football Club

Post by Quiver Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:11 am

Well, hope he still has the physical strength & speed to cut it out in the premier league now. Worth the risk.
Quiver
Quiver
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 610

Favorite Players : Arsenal Team

http://www.arsenalgooners.com

Back to top Go down

Sol Campbell rejoins Arsenal Football Club Empty Re: Sol Campbell rejoins Arsenal Football Club

Post by overmars Sun Jan 17, 2010 9:01 am

If we manage to keep him fit he will be a decent back-up.
overmars
overmars

Male
Taurus
Number of posts : 12

Favorite Players : Thierry Henry, Francesc Fabregas, Andrei Arshavin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down