Arsenal Gooners
Welcome Guest to Arsenal Gooners. Please register on this site to discuss about current issues related to Arsenal or any other club. We welcome members who support other clubs to join us as well.

Hope you enjoy our site. Smile

ArsenalGooners Staff

Forest need to find their shooting boots

Go down

Forest need to find their shooting boots

Post by enigma on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:39 am

HOLDING his head in his hands despairingly, Robert Earnshaw was left to painfully contemplate an unusual feeling.

Having been left with only the keeper to beat, following some smart work from Dele Adebola, the striker had failed to see the ball nestling in the back of the net, as Russell Hoult plunged high to his left to palm away the Welshman's fierce, rising shot.

Within five minutes, the Nottingham Forest player was striking the same agonised pose, after lashing a low shot inches wide of the upright from a similar position.

As a player with one of the most fearsome goalscoring records outside the Premiership, it was a rare moment of frustration.

For the many Reds fans who had packed themselves into the Jimmy Sirrell Stand, it was a moment of shared pain.

Even more so come the final whistle when they were left to contemplate a morale-sapping defeat at the hands of their city rivals.

If the appointment of Sven-Goran Eriksson had not left the Forest faithful to consider a future where there may once more be another team in the city to rival their supremacy, then this result might have forced a few to ponder the possibilities.

But, while the Magpies may be able to enjoy the bragging rights for now – and the chance to look forward with optimism, after years of turmoil – that does not mean Forest's own prospects are bleak.

Because, at the same time as Notts' victory does not suggest that they are going to be a shoe-in for promotion in League Two, nor does one negative result mean that Forest are destined for another season of struggle in the second-tier.

This was a game that could have swung either way.

It was almost fitting that Notts secured victory on a day that you sensed a new era was beginning at Meadow Lane.

But, had Forest's finishing been a little sharper, it might have been a less poetic story.

"The game was all about goals and we had 17 efforts on goal, five of which were on target – they had four efforts on goal, with three on target," said Davies. "The first goal was something you can't really legislate for, it was a slip.

"I just think it was all about taking chances and we never took ours in the first half in particular. We had played a lot of very good stuff at times.

"I learned a lot about the players, I saw that we are still a little rusty in front of goal, with two weeks to go until the new season.

"We had enough chances to kill the game off in the first half. We should have done that. You can't have that amount of chances and only hit the target five times.

"That really is where the problem lies – but we know that.

"We have worked very hard in the last few weeks, we know we have a lot of finishing exercises to do in the next few weeks.

"The important thing is that when the season kicks-off, we are ready. It is very important that we give people minutes of football, that is what games are about at this stage."

And, while to those of a black and white persuasion, such sentiments will be labelled as sour grapes, for Forest fans, they should be a source of optimism.

Because, once the season begins, even if the normally predatory Earnshaw does find himself off form from time-to-time, Forest will still have as many as five other strikers to turn to in search of goals.

No other club in the Championship can be as well equipped when it comes to players with a proven track record at finding the back of the net.

And, when their instincts have been finely honed on the training field, the kind of chances that Adebola and substitute Dexter Blackstock saw go begging will as often hit the back of the net as not, once the season has begun.

This morning, those Forest fans with Notts County work colleagues may want to keep their heads down at their desks.

But, while the Magpies have great cause for optimism, once Forest find their shooting boots, then so too will they

Male
Aries
Number of posts : 114

Warning Level : Full
Favorite Players : Arsenal Team

http://twitter.com/rinesh

Back to top Go down

Re: Forest need to find their shooting boots

Post by enigma on Mon Jul 27, 2009 7:39 am

once the season starts im sure earnshaw will start to unstiffen and start banging them in , and another bid hitter in blackstock isnt exactly banging them in either and both are proven goal scorers so i think at this stage of preseason most strikers will be the same and they'll be fine once the season gets into swing as will forest once the back line is sorted !

Male
Aries
Number of posts : 114

http://twitter.com/rinesh

Back to top Go down

Post by Quiver on Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:27 am

Oh definitely, that guy is a clinical finisher. i even remember his trademark celebration after a goal.

Win Lose or Tie, I'll be a Gunner till the day I Die !!!!!

Wreck'em Tech

Go Gators
Quiver
Administrator
Administrator

Male
Number of posts : 610

http://www.arsenalgooners.com

Back to top Go down